Thursday, August 11, 2011

Healthy Banana Bread

So I decided to make some banana bread out of my old bananas today. I wanted to make Banana Bread the healthiest way I could with it still tasting great. While googling other recipes to see what they used, I noticed a lot of the recipes called for 1 cup of sugar, 1 stick of butter, yada yada yada. I felt like that was a little unnecessary. In this recipe I tried to cut way back on the sugar and really focus on the natural sweetness from the bananas.










Healthy Banana Bread

1 c. Unbleached All Purpose Flour
1 c. Whole Wheat Flour
3/4 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/4 c. Light Smart Balance Butter (Softened)
2 Extra Large Eggs (local if available)
3 Bananas (Ripened)
1/2 c. Unsweetened Applesauce
1 tsp. Vanilla
1 package organic maple instant oatmeal

Preheat to 350 degrees.
Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt and sift. After sifting combine the packet of instant oatmeal. In another bowl combine sugar, and smart balance. Mix with beater. Combine one egg at a time to the mixture and blend. After that add the applesauce and vanilla. Mix all together. Then slowly add the dry ingredients. Mix together. Grease your pan and add the mixture. Bake for about 30 minutes. Check every few minutes with a tooth pick to make sure it is cooked all the way through.
I made muffins the first time and it took around 20 minutes to bake. The muffins came out so moist and delicious.
 * You can add walnuts to this recipe, dried cranberries, or really anything you like. I sprinkled mine with a little oatmeal.

No comments:

Post a Comment